Tuesday, February 17, 2009

kitsch delight







An amazing find today - this huge framed embroidery I reckon was done in the late 1960s. It's just so stunning and all the gold swirls make me think of a Klimt painting. I must admit however that I have difficulties with the colour combinations which are so typically late 60's/early 70s and remind me of when I was small. For example that burnt orange colour and all the burnt yellows and browns? It makes me think of nightime back then and how houses all glowed orange from within. Either from stained orange glass at the entrance windows or the glow of light from orange lamp shades or just from those old oil heaters we had back then. Or was it perhaps cigarettes aglow in the lounge room as party guests dropped keys in a bowl, passed around by the host in her paisley maxi dress? Hmmm. Whatever, must not let depressing memories ruin my love of retro.

No comments: