Skip to main content

Ticking One Off











Don't you just love it when you finish a project that's been sitting around for a while? When I was pregnant with Ruby I decided her birth date would be a good deadline for all those outstanding craft projects cluttering my home. The main one was a mirror I had interestingly paper mache'd big scrolls around and then mosaiced an inner border with small yellow and blue tiles I'd fashioned myself from polymer clay. I know, creative genius at work.



Anyway due date creeping up I still hadn't finished it. Truth be told it wasn't quite shaping up as the avante garde masterpiece of the century. And yet I had made myself a promise. On the night I went into labour I sat there at midnight gluing in my mosaic tiles, running out of said tiles, making some more, burning them in the oven, filling the house with toxic polymer fumes, making more, gluing them in - all in between excruciating contractions. I just didn't want to start off my new life as a mother on the back foot - ie with a half done paper mache, polymer tile mosaic mirror collecting dust under the bed. Who would?

That was ten years ago and even though the mirror has long since left us (after a full and eventful life in the back room, the cubby house and then the garage) I still remember the motivation I was able to galvanise in between contractions to Finnish it off. And I draw strength from that when I walk into the studio and see the thousand and ten half baked projects begging for their lives. Here is one such project I somehow managed to get done within a six week period (that's good for me). It's an inspiration/mood board made from a cork tile painted a french blue and a frame I found at the Salvos for $6. So brilliantly kitsch - gold timber scroll work with an inlay of beige linen - I hope my photos show it up - Fabulous! Goes perfectly in the studio whose decor could only realistically be described as Marie Antoinette meets Gidget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GUCCI in Auckland.

Walking up the main street of Auckland this summer I was not expecting to see each side of the road wall to wall with international luxury fashion brands. It's not that Auckland isn't fashionable — to the contrary the country is full of it's own authentic, edgy fashion and creativity (a friend puts this down to the cool temperatures and the crappy television) — it's just that this kind of distinctly European traditional luxury seemed a strange fit. Then a local explained that when the cruise liners dock in the harbour the first thing the tourists see coming off the ship are the bright glossy brands beckoning. Maybe some can afford the $3000 price tags for these dresses? Regardless I love Michel Alessandro and there was no keeping me out of GUCCI, getting to see his work live and in captivity. Clearly I was not their most hoped for customer but the Gucci staff were laid back and fun and allowed me to take these photos as well as giving me a catalogue — sealed in envelo…

Zombies Hate Stuff.

Day nine since the first Intragram infusion and still feeling like I've done ten rounds in the ring. Today got sick of all the net surfing from bed and persuaded C to take me out to The National Portrait Gallery even though he had taken the day off to organise various household things that needed organising. I was too unwell to actually roam the exhibitions but we had a coffee in the cafe and then took on the book shop which has to be the best arts book shop I've encountered. Heaps of brilliant books were added to my wish list but it's this novelty one that really lit my day up - Zombies Hate Stuff. Who knew? According to the author Greg Stones zombies hate all kinds of things. They're pretty disgruntled types but what they particularly hate is kittens, clowns, weddings, sharing, re-gifting and war re-enacters. They also hate...
Disrespect.
Hippies and...

Mannequins (and regifting).
Read a little more about Greg Stone here where he guest blogs and interviews himself. Thank …

Work Space in Fifties Palette.

Feeling so smug about putting up my box shelf and finally making my work space workable that I'm putting up the evidence. Wish I had taken before photos. The last photo is how the rest of the room still looks.