Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm a Twilight Mom!!!


Just when you fear you are most alone - unique in your own particularly festered case of Arrested Development - you happen accross a website that reveals a population of thousands JUST LIKE YOU. I am talking about the discovery a few nights ago of a website called "Twilight Moms" dedicated to grown women who should know better and who have unexpectedly found themselves obsessed with the popular teen vampire series. In my case it is more of an Edward Cullen fixation - to me Robert Pattinson as Edward in the movie (which I thought was better than the book) does not exist as himself but only the Vampire Edward.
Although the series reads somewhat clumsily (Stephanie Meyer is a first time author) she has managed to create a hero that strikes a deep chord with women. I think she has cleverly tapped into the rescue fantasy instilled in us all from the first time we are read Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty as small girls. For this reason alone we should keep such propaganda away from our daughters. Preferably in a small box up on a high shelf only to be bought out when they are at school and we have invited our freinds over to help scrutinise the phenomena more thoroughly.

2 comments:

Jodie said...

I haven't read the books but have seen the 1st movie. I actually have a secret crush on Edward ;) There is something about him that makes you melt... *sigh* Can't wait til the next movie comes out!

karenw said...

I have read the first two books, can't say I love them so will have to see the movie. Maybe if I see that we can go to the movies to see the next one (any excuse to go to the movies)xx