Thursday, March 25, 2010

Amateur Self Portrait.

Here is a very amateur self portrait. Myself and the other students were given some charcoal, twenty minutes and a mirror and asked to do our most accurate attempt. Despite all it's flaws I wasn't unhapy with this effort but it is hard to say whether it looks like me. Am I really that stern looking (a boy at high school once described me as having angry eyes)? Feel free to give your opinion. I have had some already. From my partner "You've made yourself look Eastern European / Were you meant to do a caricature?" to my Eleven year old "Wow Mum, you really got your glasses".
One things for sure: in my next self portrait I will be trying to bring out my inner Glamourpuss and Party Girl. Watch out for that one.

The next exercise we were given were self portraits again but listening to some 'evocative' music. We had to draw really quickly and freely, without thinking much and then start another. And then another. I think I ended up doing eight. The idea was that these did not require accuracy but were to bring out something of our inner world. Who are we? That was the night's question. I've put my favourite two here. First is one of me holding Ruby as a baby. This came out easily as only the night before I had dreamt of her as a little girl again and me lying in bed unable to care for her. I'd then spent all day longing to go back and make up for things lost. Grieving too I suppose that my babies are growing up now. Truth is I'd spent the day a bit teary so I was ripe for some art therapy in it's truest sense.
Likewise this last one came out all too easily and is a reference -I am guessing - to either a) a chronic lung disease or  b) an incredibly ugly jumper. True I was not well that day and I am tired of living with chest pain and just wearing the whole thing silently (drawing it, to my amazement, does bring relief) but obviously I am secretly glad to have produced a work with some depth. (Why, I just know the other students were intrigued. eg Why has she portrayed herself in such a hideous jumper? Such depth!! ).
After all this I am itching for a little free time to embroider some babushskas and so forth - make stuff just because it is cute and fun. Have my eye on this little project below straight out of Kelly Dousts lovely book "The Crafty Minx". to do next. So many projects, so little time.....

6 comments:

karenw said...

Although I can tell the first one is you, you rarely have such a "I'm the headmistress and you are in soooo much trouble..." look on your face. This is the look you need next time you need to see Mrs Musto.
Love the one of you with Ruby, and I will admit I thought you were referencing you're more crafty side by drawing a pair of scissors on your chest (maybe i'm self projecting?) - are you sure I'm the right person to go to the art gallery with - I can be a bit too literal most times...

Makes more sense about the whole chronic pain thing though. xx

Luna said...

Scissors! Hysterical Karen. I love it. Maybe there is more to your craft obsession than we know...

sweetwilliam said...

I love the last one!

Lady Ren said...

Those are great- Thanks for posting them! I realy like the first one a lot-

Sue said...

which boy in high school said you had angry eyes?

catherine said...

wow, very Joy Hester.