Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Offending Self Portrait.

Here is the self portrait  I did a few weeks back which had me wallowing in, it has to be said, a rather unattractive mood. I think what upset me so much was that I reworked/ kept 'fixing' the first one (at bottom of post) so much  I lost a lot of what had been spontaneous and had been working. In the end, despite the final result (just below before the colour glazing being added) being so 'controlled'  - I have always assumed control was the antithesis of painting - I think it is better one. It looks more like me for a start. And thank goodness I stuffed up the eyes and decided to just paint them shut (I was running out of time) as it definitely gives the painting the right mood given as I am holding my first born! I'd have to say it  turned out ok, but I can still see stuff I like in the first one that was lost in the reworking (eg the larger brush strokes in the back ground). Good enough however for a first go at painting and not fully warrenting the original melt down! I just can't imagine myself ever at the stage where I'll know when enough is enough...

7 comments:

Lady Ren said...

This is beautiful- I really like this painting!
I can feel the harmony and I would have guessed first born.

Lily said...

wonderful painting :)
very calming and i love the muted palette you chose.

Ruby-Robin said...

Hey Luna. Wow. I found your portrait painting really striking and moving. Thanks for sharing it. We are always our worst critic hey...but u r brilliant.

Luna said...

Hey guys, thankyou very much :)

gretchenmist said...

thanks for popping in and commenting and following my blog :)
interesting post ~ and a great piece. it's hard to stop sometimes, i agree. hard to trust that the spontaneous elements are going to hold it together . . .

Anonymous said...

Tadaaaa!
I have not been defeated by a blog - I am posting(assuming this works).
LOVE the Luna blog,your art and the eye candy shots - keep it up!T

M blinksell said...

I love this one - no saccharine take of mummying, mother and baby here - it's very real, internaly reflective, complex in the variety of emotions it conveys ...Just beautiful. Honey, get painting some more!!!