Skip to main content

Clunk, Roll.

I try not to go on here about the onslaught of colds and flu autumn brings my way. Not because I'm adverse to whinging - on the contrary, I find it lends me a certain charm  - but because it's hard to find a nice photo to go with a post topic like that. (This may soon change. I am currently working on a series of embroideries of the influenza H1N1 virus, aka swine flu). But in the interests of record keeping, which was one of the original intentions of this blog, I just wanted to get it down here that I have only just recovered from a very nasty knee infection from when my partner pushed me down a flight of stairs a few weeks ago. OK, didn't actually push me, I shouldn't say that. More turned the outdoor light off  just as I stepped out for the laundry. Deliberately. OK, not deliberately. Just turned off a light that seemed to be on for no reason. Though the timing did seem suspicious. And why would I put the decking light on for no reason? Think electricity police meets possible opportunistic prank. Think two weeks barely out of bed except to go to the surgery and get the dressing changed. Think painful and inconvenient. Anyway the point is: it was nobodies fault. But if it was someones fault they shouldn't feel bad. Don't feel bad. 
So what's it like to fall down a flight of stairs? Like anybody I had often found myself wondering the same thing. What would be going through your head for example as you fell??? I was amazed to read once that Princess Diana had thrown herself down a flight  in front of Charles as a kind of cry for help. Which sounds very sad and desperate. In my case I had no idea I was falling until the first clunk-roll in a series of clunk-rolls so was surprised to find my thoughts quite calm. Less "There are three of us in this marriage, Charles", and more "Bummer, the final episode of Desperate Romantics is about to start in five minutes". Of course Diana probably threw herself down a long marble staircase where as mine was just nine or ten timber steps. OK, more like six. Alright five. But the final clunk-roll was my skull on concrete. Amazingly no real injuries, just sore bits and bruises  and a friction burn on my knee I paid no heed to. Hence the infection. Which was very painful and inconvenient.  And as I said  - no one's fault.

Image: artists impression of mummy falling down stairs.


Comments

mir said…
I'm happy to discover you're blog and you're creativity ! Thanks !
karenw said…
It's good to see you've entirely forgiven Col and hold no deep resentment at all (Ok not deep, right there on the surface for all to see...). Love the illustration, very graphic and entirely accurate.

Hope you are well enough for a night out. xxx
Michelle said…
You are a lovely wife - I would hold blame for a bit longer!

Hope the knee heeled well - bet it was awful.
Oh ghee Luna....can't win can u! Hope you have a speedy recovery. Big Hugs ox
Getrealmommy said…
Always blame the husband... always :)

Popular posts from this blog

Kokeshi Doll Chandelier

Bigger than than the sum of it's parts? For Ruby's bedroom I made this chandelier, combining two of our favourite things - Kokeshi dolls and an old chandelier -a lucky junk shop pick up for $5. The kokechi dolls more expensive than we would have liked but by then we were fixed on the idea.

The Magic Garage (aka The Wardrobe Project).

So here is the vintage wardrobe Ruby and I 'rescued' from the Salvos for not small amount of cash ($130 to be exact).OMG, we said upon discovery, it is exactly what we are after. We'll just sand it back and paint it white and that will be it. After all that is all there is to furniture restoration right? First things first though, we'll have it delivered to my Dad's garage and work on it there. Dad knows a bit about these things. He'll 'guide' us. Plus, it has to be said,he does have a very special garage- for example it has been known to exhibit magical properties. Sometimes you can leave one of your trickier projects in there and when you return the next day it's done. I know, it's amazing. Elves, I expect. But I will tell you now - I am not relying on the elves. This wardrobe is to be a learning curve for me. Will post regular pictures of our hard work. And hard work it might be - it seems the previous owners gave ita decorative paint finish

Please No Kisses.

About a year ago,Archie made a sudden switch to his Dad as Most Favoured Parent, as boys do around this age. That's a while ago now but doesn't mean I have given up trying. In fact I have come up with a brilliant reverse psychology strategy that involves going in to say goodnight, after story time with Dad, and saying I just want to give him a little cuddle, but please no kisses . It goes like this. Me: Goodnight. I'm just going to give you a quick cuddle. Remember though no kisses. Him: (confused, and hiding under the covers to resist my cuddle): No kisses? Why not? You love kisses. Me: Yeah, I used to. But not any more. Him: (still confused) But why? Me: (casual) I don't know why. I just don't like them. So just a very quick cuddle. What happens then is I get covered in hundreds of little delicious quick kisses ("just to annoy you"). I know what you're thinking: I really should write a parenting book.