Skip to main content

A First.

A huge first for me this week - all alone in the house while my partner and two children fly down to Melbourne for a week's family holiday. I had planned to go as usual despite some pretty big misgivings about my health. But as the time drew nearer those misgivings grew louder and louder until I could not ignore them anymore. The usual solution of me coming along and resting back at the hotel/apartment while everyone did the zoo/museum/gallery/fun park thing made my heart weep. Then an inspired compromise: why don't I stay home, gathering my energy, and fly down a few days afterwards? So here I am in my quiet little house recieving text messages like how "coot" the Meerkats were at Melboune zoo, how dad lets them have Hungry Jacks for lunch and frozen lasagne for dinner. As for me last night I got over twelve hours sleep. It's often said sleep is the best medicine of all and how true that seems to be. Things seem a lot clearer when you are well rested too - like a life lived on the back foot all the time is not such a great one. To this end I've been collating ideas of how I might live a better life despite illness. Practical stuff like getting groceries delivered to the house as doing the shopping, quite honestly, sucks the life right out of me. Then sacrifices such as no reading novels when they keep me up all night and leave me worse for wear the next day. And maybe the study will need to be cut back even further? It all sounds so New Years Resolution doesn't it. but it's been a dificult year and some changes do seem in order....I guess we'll see....

Comments

karenw said…
sounds perfect, just what you need. call me during an awake time and we'll organise a borders morning tea xx
C.R. said…
Hope You feel better soon.
blue moss said…
i hope you gather up tons and tons of rest.....
take care
Ruby-Robin said…
Hey sweetie. My heart always goes out to you when I read how tough things have been for you. There must be something in the air because I am also sitting at my ponderng chair and trying to develop some strategies to live the best life possible with illness. I can't help but keep coming up against my notions of what makes a 'good life' and a 'sucessful' person- seems the work might need to be done on the inside lol. I think your ideas would definately help. Would love to be able to see you more and natter away-thank god for the net hey. Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. Happy resting ox
Luna said…
Thankyou all so much!

Popular posts from this blog

GUCCI in Auckland.

Walking up the main street of Auckland this summer I was not expecting to see each side of the road wall to wall with international luxury fashion brands. It's not that Auckland isn't fashionable — to the contrary the country is full of it's own authentic, edgy fashion and creativity (a friend puts this down to the cool temperatures and the crappy television) — it's just that this kind of distinctly European traditional luxury seemed a strange fit. Then a local explained that when the cruise liners dock in the harbour the first thing the tourists see coming off the ship are the bright glossy brands beckoning. Maybe some can afford the $3000 price tags for these dresses? Regardless I love Michel Alessandro and there was no keeping me out of GUCCI, getting to see his work live and in captivity. Clearly I was not their most hoped for customer but the Gucci staff were laid back and fun and allowed me to take these photos as well as giving me a catalogue — sealed in envelo…

Zombies Hate Stuff.

Day nine since the first Intragram infusion and still feeling like I've done ten rounds in the ring. Today got sick of all the net surfing from bed and persuaded C to take me out to The National Portrait Gallery even though he had taken the day off to organise various household things that needed organising. I was too unwell to actually roam the exhibitions but we had a coffee in the cafe and then took on the book shop which has to be the best arts book shop I've encountered. Heaps of brilliant books were added to my wish list but it's this novelty one that really lit my day up - Zombies Hate Stuff. Who knew? According to the author Greg Stones zombies hate all kinds of things. They're pretty disgruntled types but what they particularly hate is kittens, clowns, weddings, sharing, re-gifting and war re-enacters. They also hate...
Disrespect.
Hippies and...

Mannequins (and regifting).
Read a little more about Greg Stone here where he guest blogs and interviews himself. Thank …

Work Space in Fifties Palette.

Feeling so smug about putting up my box shelf and finally making my work space workable that I'm putting up the evidence. Wish I had taken before photos. The last photo is how the rest of the room still looks.