Skip to main content

Whinge Alert: Medium Level Complaints.

This is not a happy post.
At least it wasn't on Monday morning when I begun it. However a visit to my acupuncturist, a gorgeous Chinese woman named Mei, who with her deft fingers and magic pins, shifted the previously unshifting virus so that what seemed hopeless on Monday morning is no longer quite so. I had all but given up hopes of study. But now realise I'm still hanging in. Week four and not beaten. Which is good - this is a dream to be studying visual art. And yet....there are problems. And seeings this is a dedicated whinge post why waste it? Here it goes then...I am struggling badly with a life size clay sculpture of  myself (the head part that is). Week four and I'm still getting nowhere. I have photos of it but have too much pride to post them. I hinted to the teacher that I have an odd and particularly difficult face that didn't lend itself to clay replica in the hope she would say "Yes,  I see what you are saying, just do the best with what you have, bravo you!" but she wasn't buying it. All I got was some gentle suggestions and experienced direction. The cheek! Printmaking is also a struggle. The pace is fast and I feel like the only one in the class without any lino cutting experience and without the time and energy to gain it. It's frustrating. I know in the face of circumstances I can't change that what I most need is an attitude change but for the moment pride is getting in the way....
Maybe I just need a cup of tea.

Comments

dear olive said…
Don't get defeated! What you're doing is amazing. Hope the tea helps. Kellie xx
Iveth Morales said…
Sorry to read about your struggle! Just let go of the things you can't change.
And that cup of tea sounds amazing, I think it might help :)

I hope everything looks better soon!
Kylie said…
I do understand how you're feeling Jo - perhaps being unwell has contributed to the feeling of being overwhelmed and now that you're better you can begin afresh? I hope so :) I have no helpful hints re clay, however, I can send you a tutorial I've prepared about lino cutting. It's only the basics but if they haven't given you any training at all maybe it will help? Let me know if you'd like it. Good luck hon :) Kx
Luna said…
Thankyou so much everyone for these comments! Kylie would love to check out your tutorial - will be in touch. X.
Getrealmommy said…
oh whinge away! I love that word, and haven't heard it since my brief life in London so long ago.

You can do it! You can do it! A little cheerleading action for you!
Minnado said…
Sorry to hear you are struggling but glad you are not giving up. I am intrigued by the acupuncture.

Your course sounds as if you are doing so many different areas within visual art that maybe some are not going to suit you as much as others. My only lino cutting hint is to warm it first with a low iron or on a radiator so the lino is soft for cutting. I expect that was one you already knew! I would struggle massively with a clay portrait - sounds really hard!
can imagine the difficulty of studying fine art + also the sheer joy!! hope you can push through with your work. wondering what course you are doing? and if you are better now? {accupuncture is the best!}
xx
Luna said…
Thanks guys! Much appreciate your comments!!
Guusje said…
Have tea, nothing a cuppa can't solve....
Good luck!
Ruby-Robin said…
Hey Luna,
Been thinking of you the last few days as I have also been struggling through viruses and infections and am so exhausted! So I just wanted to pop in and see how you were doing, so I am sorry you are struggling, but I hear you! Hope acu will lift you enough to feel you can tackle art school- it sounds hard but fantastic, can't wait to see some of the things you produce. Hang in there ox

Popular posts from this blog

GUCCI in Auckland.

Walking up the main street of Auckland this summer I was not expecting to see each side of the road wall to wall with international luxury fashion brands. It's not that Auckland isn't fashionable — to the contrary the country is full of it's own authentic, edgy fashion and creativity (a friend puts this down to the cool temperatures and the crappy television) — it's just that this kind of distinctly European traditional luxury seemed a strange fit. Then a local explained that when the cruise liners dock in the harbour the first thing the tourists see coming off the ship are the bright glossy brands beckoning. Maybe some can afford the $3000 price tags for these dresses? Regardless I love Michel Alessandro and there was no keeping me out of GUCCI, getting to see his work live and in captivity. Clearly I was not their most hoped for customer but the Gucci staff were laid back and fun and allowed me to take these photos as well as giving me a catalogue — sealed in envelo…

Zombies Hate Stuff.

Day nine since the first Intragram infusion and still feeling like I've done ten rounds in the ring. Today got sick of all the net surfing from bed and persuaded C to take me out to The National Portrait Gallery even though he had taken the day off to organise various household things that needed organising. I was too unwell to actually roam the exhibitions but we had a coffee in the cafe and then took on the book shop which has to be the best arts book shop I've encountered. Heaps of brilliant books were added to my wish list but it's this novelty one that really lit my day up - Zombies Hate Stuff. Who knew? According to the author Greg Stones zombies hate all kinds of things. They're pretty disgruntled types but what they particularly hate is kittens, clowns, weddings, sharing, re-gifting and war re-enacters. They also hate...
Disrespect.
Hippies and...

Mannequins (and regifting).
Read a little more about Greg Stone here where he guest blogs and interviews himself. Thank …

Work Space in Fifties Palette.

Feeling so smug about putting up my box shelf and finally making my work space workable that I'm putting up the evidence. Wish I had taken before photos. The last photo is how the rest of the room still looks.