Friday, May 20, 2011

Please No Kisses.

If you are interested in knowing there are other parents out there making a few mistakes World's Worst Mum's is a great site to go to, keeping your sense of humour in self preservation mode as you go. I have just had a post of mine put up today  that describes the struggle I am having with my Seven year old Son making a sudden switch to his Dad as Most Favoured Parent about a year ago. That's a while ago now but doesn't mean I have given up trying. In fact I have come up with a brilliant reverse psychology strategy that involves going in to say goodnight, after story time with Dad, and saying I just want to give him a little cuddle, but please no kisses. It goes like this.

Me: Goodnight. I'm just going to give you a quick cuddle. Remember though no kisses.
Him: (confused, and hiding under the covers to resist my cuddle): No kisses? Why not? You love kisses.
Me: Yeah, I used to. But not any more.
Him: (still confused) But why?
Me: (casual) I don't know why. I just don't like them. So just a very quick cuddle.
What happens then is I get covered in hundreds of little delicious quick kisses ("just to annoy you").

Oh, I know what you are all thinking....that I really should write a parenting book....

5 comments:

notexpectingtoomuch said...

So funny. I wonder if it's a boy thing? I can't get my son to say "I love you" for nothing. I posted about it in March (http://notexpectingtoomuch.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/hows-that-for-changing-the-subject/). No change since then.

karenw said...

I'm not sure what Col and Archie makes of another man and child in your bed (I am assuming the photo of the man and child accompanying the story was taken by you??)

not only bad devious mother, but leading a mysterious double life....

Michelle said...

Fabulous!!

World's Worst Moms said...

Oh, you ARE good. Thanks again for sending in your story. I almost feel like you need some sort of follow up now.:)

Kylie said...

Haha! That is sooooooooo funny, Jo. I'll be laughing for a while over that one :) Kx