Friday, August 10, 2012

The Great Gatsby and Jack White.


Ever since I heard director Baz Luhrmann was remaking The Great Gatsby I've been a little bit excited. I hunted down the movie's trailer the other day and going from just this little snippet alone it seems reasonable to hope that Luhrmann has pulled off another Romeo and Juliet while avoiding another Moulin Rouge (a collossal waste of creative resources to say nothing of sequins). But at least here -as with Romeo + Juliet - Luhrmann is working with great material, F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic novel. I'm also hopeful for the soundtrack - again if the trailer is anything to go by. Jack white's cover of U2's Love Is Blindness looks to be a truly inspired choice, capturing the hollowed out depths of emotion and painful alienation that Gatsby's pursuit of daisy symbolises and you can catch a snippet of it in context on the trailer. I have to confess that I am slightly obsessed with this song. Not since Gotye's Somebody That I used To Know have I listened to a song over and over again for the raw emotion it savagely taps into. I've posted in the full song below to make your own mind up on!


3 comments:

Kylie Hunt said...

Soundtrack does sound great but I'm sorry... I must be an old fashioned girl because I just can't see anyone but Robert Redford playing this subtle role. To me, Leo just looks constipated most of the time :))
Hopefully, I am wrong! Kx

Murgatroyd said...

Ooh, love a bit of Luhmann! Had no idea that this was being made so thanks for the top off Luna.
I think DiCaprio will add a far spikier edge (constipated or not ;D) to Gatsby than Redford did. This looks like it will be far removed, more opulent in true Luhrmann style, than the Redford version. Room in the world for both - but can't wait to see this one!

gretchenmist . . . {belinda} said...

the song is very cool ~ always have a snigger with jack white {eg where he says i'm just so sick of it!!}.
don't know if i ever answered your q re inaluxe artwork ~ the geometric one is kristina's.
hope you are well xx