Skip to main content

Apologies In Advance For The Gloom.


I am in my final semester of study now, meaning in a couple of short months I will graduate after having presented to the world (ie meaning family, friends and those interested in the work of soon to graduate Visual Artists) a body of work that says a lot about my abilities, technical skill, thought processes, approach to art and just approach to life generally. Ultimately I would like my work to offer the viewer an illuminative and uplifting world view and yet that is very far off from the place i am sitting right now. Illness, I am sorry to say has me by the throat. I hate giving in to it. But today I yearn to. Enough of the pushing through, enough of the painful crawl towards deadlines. Why, I wonder today, don't I ever take the illness into account when I set about a new semester with excitement, planning a grand body of work that is destined to keep me in a state of stress and pressure for the endurance and lead to these inevitable moments of just wanting to toss it in or at it's very least scale it down drastically? I wont of course, just yet - I can surely come up with something, I hope,  but it wont be what I planned or what I could manage under different circumstances....and that's kind of disappointing.
And then there is the very real fear that I wont come up with anything at all.
It's early days for Intrgram and the fact is I have witnessed some little miracles already on the microbial/bacterial front (a wonder to behold as infected cuts and scrapes heal before my eyes) but no help on the viral front. Hopefully that's in time.
So here is my work, so far...I haven't got much energy today to describe it but suffice here to say I'm mixing assemblage with textiles and concepts like Ostranenie with the philisophical contexts of existentialism and absurdism. Lots of anatomical visual references and building off previous works I've shown here before with zines and artists books.
So enough of my pessimistic words.



Comments

Getrealmommy said…
Hey-looking forward to seeing more!

Popular posts from this blog

GUCCI in Auckland.

Walking up the main street of Auckland this summer I was not expecting to see each side of the road wall to wall with international luxury fashion brands. It's not that Auckland isn't fashionable — to the contrary the country is full of it's own authentic, edgy fashion and creativity (a friend puts this down to the cool temperatures and the crappy television) — it's just that this kind of distinctly European traditional luxury seemed a strange fit. Then a local explained that when the cruise liners dock in the harbour the first thing the tourists see coming off the ship are the bright glossy brands beckoning. Maybe some can afford the $3000 price tags for these dresses? Regardless I love Michel Alessandro and there was no keeping me out of GUCCI, getting to see his work live and in captivity. Clearly I was not their most hoped for customer but the Gucci staff were laid back and fun and allowed me to take these photos as well as giving me a catalogue — sealed in envelo…

Zombies Hate Stuff.

Day nine since the first Intragram infusion and still feeling like I've done ten rounds in the ring. Today got sick of all the net surfing from bed and persuaded C to take me out to The National Portrait Gallery even though he had taken the day off to organise various household things that needed organising. I was too unwell to actually roam the exhibitions but we had a coffee in the cafe and then took on the book shop which has to be the best arts book shop I've encountered. Heaps of brilliant books were added to my wish list but it's this novelty one that really lit my day up - Zombies Hate Stuff. Who knew? According to the author Greg Stones zombies hate all kinds of things. They're pretty disgruntled types but what they particularly hate is kittens, clowns, weddings, sharing, re-gifting and war re-enacters. They also hate...
Disrespect.
Hippies and...

Mannequins (and regifting).
Read a little more about Greg Stone here where he guest blogs and interviews himself. Thank …

Work Space in Fifties Palette.

Feeling so smug about putting up my box shelf and finally making my work space workable that I'm putting up the evidence. Wish I had taken before photos. The last photo is how the rest of the room still looks.