Skip to main content

The sex life of bugs.

One of Archie's favourite things to do is collect bugs and study them. Every month my mother buys him a bug magazine that comes with a collectable real life insect or bug petrified in a block of perspex. Can't help but notice bug magazine editors are obsessed with bug sex. Every time walk past Archie's room at bed time Col is reading him the latest instalment of bug sex life in lurid detail. "Eeeew" I think to myself. "Don't be so immature!" Col calls out. Ooops. Had not realised I was thinking aloud again. After school Archie catches a Cricket then studies reference material to determine the cricket is female. He then sets outside again to find cricket a life partner to mate with. Jackpot! Doesn't take long. My, that was quick! I say. Archie introduces crickets to one another then sets about making their tupperware home comfortable, complete with flower petals (their preferred food) and some mood setting grass. Having read they lay their eggs on a dirt nest he constructs one in corner of tupperware love den. Ambience must be spot on as by next afternoon Archie calls me in. Hurry! he says, Crickets are real life mating, I can't believe it, hurry mum! OK I say. Here I am, yes, that is certainly something! Ruby gives me reproachful look suggesting Archie's innocence is inappropriate and it's high time I furnish his young mind with the facts of life presumably so he can adopt the requisite amount of embarrassment for these matters. The following afternoon Archie invites his Nickie over to see the chirpy new family pets (actually it is only the male who chirps, a mating strategy) and together they clean out the tupperware den, discussing the chirpy one. "He's already mated with his wife, did you know Nic?" Ruby and I, at work in the next room, exchange looks. Surely we heard wrong. "Nic, did you hear me? He's already mated with his wife". Ruby gives me another, I'm telling you look. Archie and Nic decide tupperware home would be more interesting with some more crickets and neither care to wait for the arrival of baby crickets. A search in the backyard proves fruitful and three more are introduced to the now crowded Tupperware den. They apply glad wrap then head out for the trampoline which will occupy the next hour before Nic's dad arrives, whereupon the boys will then run and hide forcing his dad and I to yell threats into the neighbourhood for the next twenty minutes before they show themselves and Nic can be taken home. The following afternoon a grim discovery. One of the crickets has died (dehydration?) and the others have pulled it's legs off. I have reached my limit. "Archie it's time these crickets go back out to the yard", I say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kokeshi Doll Chandelier

Bigger than than the sum of it's parts? For Ruby's bedroom I made this chandelier, combining two of our favourite things - Kokeshi dolls and an old chandelier -a lucky junk shop pick up for $5. The kokechi dolls more expensive than we would have liked but by then we were fixed on the idea.

The Magic Garage (aka The Wardrobe Project).

So here is the vintage wardrobe Ruby and I 'rescued' from the Salvos for not small amount of cash ($130 to be exact).OMG, we said upon discovery, it is exactly what we are after. We'll just sand it back and paint it white and that will be it. After all that is all there is to furniture restoration right? First things first though, we'll have it delivered to my Dad's garage and work on it there. Dad knows a bit about these things. He'll 'guide' us. Plus, it has to be said,he does have a very special garage- for example it has been known to exhibit magical properties. Sometimes you can leave one of your trickier projects in there and when you return the next day it's done. I know, it's amazing. Elves, I expect. But I will tell you now - I am not relying on the elves. This wardrobe is to be a learning curve for me. Will post regular pictures of our hard work. And hard work it might be - it seems the previous owners gave ita decorative paint finish

Please No Kisses.

About a year ago,Archie made a sudden switch to his Dad as Most Favoured Parent, as boys do around this age. That's a while ago now but doesn't mean I have given up trying. In fact I have come up with a brilliant reverse psychology strategy that involves going in to say goodnight, after story time with Dad, and saying I just want to give him a little cuddle, but please no kisses . It goes like this. Me: Goodnight. I'm just going to give you a quick cuddle. Remember though no kisses. Him: (confused, and hiding under the covers to resist my cuddle): No kisses? Why not? You love kisses. Me: Yeah, I used to. But not any more. Him: (still confused) But why? Me: (casual) I don't know why. I just don't like them. So just a very quick cuddle. What happens then is I get covered in hundreds of little delicious quick kisses ("just to annoy you"). I know what you're thinking: I really should write a parenting book.